Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cooking: Pecan Pie, Banoffee Pie

Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie

I've wanted to try pecan pie for ages and the only way that was ever going to happen over here was for me to make one myself. To that end, I've been on the look-out for a bag of shelled pecans for a while. The best I could come up with though was two 200g bags of pecans in shells, which proved to be absolute bastards to break out of those shells in one piece. I must have spent about an hour picking broken shell bits off the nuts inside, bit by bit, finishing up with a coating of a fine, red pecan dust all over my hands.

The pie itself, based on this recipe, was much smoother sailing. Though there were still a few small bits of shell perilously lurking within, the pecan-caramel combination was great, especially with some of the maple cream from the same recipe.

Banoffee Pie

Banoffee Pie

Banoffee Pie is something else I've been meaning to make for ages. I was hopeful I could make one with a tin of evaporated milk, rather than condensed milk as I ended up with one lurking in the cupboard with no real use for it. Sure enough, after a bit of internet detective work, I came across this recipe posted on some mum-based forum. They weren't wrong about the toffee part, which probably took a good bit longer than 40 minutes for me, but it was indeed pretty damn "gorg". I did bump up the amount of digestives, bananas and cream in mine though, so I guess that helped (though certainly not in the waistline department. :D).

No comments: