The press conferences are over; it's time for Zelda. So, like I said in the Microsoft post, sadly, there are no need for predictions this year; Nintendo have apparently just been showing the new Wii U/NX Zelda all day today, with a bit of time devoted to the upcoming 3DS Pokémon games. That's all been in the form of an E3 live stream fronted by NOA localisation staff - a stream they started last year that I don't think I actually watched a minute of, because jeez, who has time for that? :D
This year though, for reasons only known to them, it's all Nintendo have at E3 for us lowly folks at home, and they're showing freakin' Zelda, so there's no way I'm not taking a look at that. This won't be all day impressions though, I'm only planning on going for about an hour or so. If the stream gets a bit too hot and heavy with spoilers, which I'm kind of afraid it will, I'm going to be bailing out even earlier.
Remember, the safe word is DEKU NUT.
Watch live video from Nintendo on www.twitch.tv
- 00:27:40 - Okay, sounds like the music is finally coming down here. Much as I was enjoying that sublime elevator music, Nintendo. (Come on, slap The Ballad of the Wind Goddess or something on there; it's Zelda time!)
- 00:27:51 - Or not.
- 00:28:03 - Hey, there's Reggie. I guess with a little condolence message first. Damn it, what's wrong with people?
- 00:29:02 - And we're under way.
- 00:29:17 - The Nintendo experience is different at every E3. Yeah, you're not kidding there, Reggie. :D
- 00:30:15 - Okay, trailer time. Wait, is that voice acting? In a Zelda game?
- 00:30:23 - Still looking sharp.
- 00:30:41 - Deer! To be honest, I already half-glimpsed the subtitle for this while fumbling through YouTube, so I guess hunting, or at least animals feature heavily in this Zelda.
- 00:31:13 - "Wake up, Link." That definitely sounds like voice acting. In a Zelda game!
- 00:31:18 - Woo! Sail cloth confirmed. I just finished putting 50 or so hours into Twilight Princess HD; there were quite a few times I was ready to bust out the sail cloth in that, only to remember that it's not in the game. (By the way, Twilight Princess: still an awesome game. I'll never understand the haters.) Oh, just noticed the piratey skull on the cloth here. Wind Waker timeline confirmed? :D
- 00:31:19 - Okay, so that looks like Hyrule Castle off in the distance, and that has to be Death Mountain off north-east-ish from that (at least from this perspective). Looks like a field in the middle and you've got a forest in the south - You know, for as loose as Nintendo have been with the Zelda timeline up until recently (and I'm not sure they've changed their ways yet there), they've always been weirdly consistent with Hyrule's general layout.
- 00:31:35 - Oh yeah. This looks like the open world I was missing from Skyward Sword.
- 00:31:29 - Like that leaked artwork, climbing seems to be a big thing this time. The please-don't-make-this-an-Ubisoft-open-world-game crowd won't be happy with that. :D
- 00:31:47 - Crafting confirmed!
- 00:31:52 - No, probably not. But you can cut down trees, and hunt!
- 00:31:54 - And burn the vegetation. This is an Ubisoft open world game. :D
- 00:32:09 - Now this looks like some touch screen based business.
- 00:32:37 - Liking that rock monster. I think I saw Link wearing armour in there too. I wonder if you actually get Link's regular green tunic at any point. The fans won't happy about that.
- 00:32:40 - Damn, this trailer music is great. It's got a real earthy, traditional Asian feel to it.
- 00:32:41 - Love a snowy area in games! Holy crap, this one looks huge.
- 00:33:02 - Ooh, that looks nice. Very LttP official art:
Image from Zelda Legends
- 00:33:02 - But otherwise, yeah whatever, Nintendo, of course the Master Sword is in this game! :D Is Gannondorf going to a big reveal at the end of this too?
- 00:33:19 - Breath of the Wild. It's a bit of odd name for a Zelda game. Sounds more like a Witcher expansion, but it's growing on me.
- 00:33:32 - Do you really need to put a Nintendo logo at the end of a Zelda trailer? Oh man, do you think that's actually the NX logo, and that they're just going to call it"Nintendo", like all those idiots want? :D
- 00:33:44 - "We like to call it 'open world' - a combination of 'open', and 'world'"
- 00:34:24 - Man, they really are talking about this like no one watching has played an open world game before. :D
- 00:35:18 - Wait, what? I wasn't prepared for immediate Pokémon here. (I was kind of hoping I'd be avoiding it entirely. :D) In Pokémon update news, that copy of Pokémon Ruby I got: still unplayed, leaving Pokémon Yellow as still the only Pokémon game I've ever played. (I do know how to bust out a mean é though. éééééééééééééééé)
- 00:35:37 - I might not be interested in these games, but I have to admit: Rowlet looks pretty dope.
- 00:37:24 - Man, I really wonder why they didn't just do another Digital Event this year. I think they had enough games if they went bit deeper than usual on Zelda, these Pokémon games, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Paper Mario. Throw in a few amiibo announcements, and boom. I'm starting to suspect that they wanted to make everyone watch extended gameplay from Zelda, so that everyone would be able to grasp what an open world game is, considering that they've never made one before. That seems nuts, but also very Nintendo I think. I still think it's bonkers though not be unveiling at least some aspect of the NX here, if it really is coming out in March. All they needed was some vague teaser-y stuff. Everyone would have gone wild. Can you tell I'm very excited to hear about Pokémon? :D
- 00:38:58 - This sure looks like Pokémon. And is it just me, or is the audio quality on this trailer terrible?
- 00:39:11 - I'm not sure I'd trust a professor who goes around in an open shirt with kids; Professor Kukui looks like a prime dirtbag.
- 00:39:41 - "Why Sun and Moon? Well, we've already used up every other group of semi-related things.'"
- 00:40:59 - Boo. These Pokémon are dumb. Put Rowlett on the box.
- 00:41:10 - Is it just me, or does the moon look a lot like the rebel insignia from Star Wars?
- 00:43:00 - Holy nude Norman Reedus, I'm bored. :D
- 00:46:37 - Looks like the heroine is wearing a cross between a Billy Hatcher and a Scribblenauts hat. (And I thought I wouldn't have any insightful Pokémon commentary to offer.)
- 00:46:56 - Yikes! There's still gameplay to come? This is some real bait and switch shit. :D "Tune in to see the new Zelda!' "Surprise, Motherfuckers! Two hours of Pokemon!"