Thursday, September 10, 2015

Snowboard Kids (N64, PAL) Save File



As if Mario Kart 8 and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed weren't enough kart racers for one year, I also played all the way through Snowboard Kids for the N64 last Summer - a fun little racer that, despite having controls took me a while to get used to, I thought totally lived up to the cult status it had back in the day. Having finished it though and unlocked all the courses, given my chequered history with N64 memory cards, I wondered if there wasn't some way I could copy my save off the damn card before it inevitable failed on me (Yeah, I don't know why I don't just stick to N64 emulators at this point either).

So, some poking around the internet brought me to this thing:



A DexDrive, which some guy was still selling a large quantity of new units of on eBay. This thing, you hooked up to your PC, allowing you to copy saves off of and onto your memory cards. Just the thing I needed, you might imagine, but being a US device from 1998...



Hmm



Umm



Uhh

...there proved to be a few issues getting it up and running. :D But finally I did and...... nothing. Of course, the DexDrive wouldn't recognise the third party N64 controller pak I had as valid, no matter what I did. But hey, at least it came with a pretty rad promotional booklet:

InterAct 1998 Booklet


In the end, after wasting what must have been like €50 on a DexDrive, a step-down converter and a freakin' serial to USB cable (which I'm sure is going to see a lot of future use), I discovered that the Retrode (and N64 adapter) I'd already bought a few months earlier could have done the same job the whole damn time.

Which is a pretty long-winded way of saying here's a completed PAL save for Snowboard Kids:

Download from MediaFire

You could transfer it to a N64 memory card with a DexDrive. I'd advise against it though. :)