Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cooking: Butternut Squash Pie

Butternut Squash Pie - Pic 1

Being a little tired of soup, I thought I'd try something different different with a butternut squash I found myself with in November. Having established that butternut squash pie was indeed a thing, I set about rounding up the necessary ingredients, only to find that I was all out of condensed milk. A key component, but I was far too deep into the pie-making process to quit at this stage. Queue a desperate scramble to find a alternative recipe, which lead me to this one here.

I was a bit unsure how things would go, with this new recipe calling for about a cup more more butternut squash than I had, and tension levels reached critical when it yielded considerably more, and considerably thinner filing than I've ever dealt with before.

Butternut Squash Pie - Pic 2

In the end though, the pie turned out well. Quite similar to pumpkin pie as you'd expect, but a little sweeter, and a little lighter; both in terms of flavour, and consistency. The former though, I'd chalk up to the shortage of butternut squash. Another cooking disaster averted.

Shoddy-ass latticework aside. :)

No comments: