Thursday, October 16, 2008

Free Stuff: Download.com Music

epic photoshop is epic

The other night I was listening to some Joy Zipper and I started wondering if they had any free tracks on the net. So, off I went off to Google.The band's site was gone, seemingly replaced by their MySpace page (Ugh, why does every band's MySpace page look like shit?). I didn't manage to find anything there, but in my search, I came across one on Download.com Music. Now, I've used that site to get hold of freeware and such before but I never knew this section even existed.

There's actually quite a nice selection of artists up there, with most having at least one DRM-free MP3 to download. Some of them are alternate versions or remixes but there's also plenty of proper album tracks available. By searching around, I was able to grab free and legal tracks from the likes of Rilo Kiley, Antony and the Johnsons, Patrick Wolf, Crystal Castles, Jenny Lewis, Klaxons, Super Furry Animals, We are Scientists, You Say Party! We Say Die! and more.

I think it's fair to say that the downloads available do veer a little more towards indie and alternative music, rather than chart stuff. But if that's what you're into, hypothetical reader, it's well worth a look.

No comments: