Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cooking: Carrot Cake, Avocado-Lime Pie

Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake

Soup wasn't the only initiative I was undertaking to use up the vast carrot surplus last year; I also tried my hand at making a carrot cake. Based on this recipe, the cake itself went pretty smoothly; though holy shit, does it take a long time to grate carrots. :D I couldn't get a regular-sized tub of cream cheese for the icing, so I ended up having to scoop the contents out of eight mini tubs of Philadelphia Light instead. That would have been fine, except the frosting turned out a bit on the runny side, which I suspect may be down to using reduced fat cream cheese instead of the regular stuff. Overall though, the cake was pretty great; rich, moist and great with the light, orangey frosting.

Avocado Lime Pie

Avocado-Lime Pie

I randomly picked up a few avocados before Christmas and while looking around on Google for what to do with them, I came across a recipe for an avocado-lime pie, which sounded pretty good, and it was. Though, to be honest I'm not sure I could really taste the avocado in there at all. It pretty much just tasted like a regular key lime pie, which was more than fine by me. The last slice went down especially well with a cup of tea and Giant Bomb's Holiday Nostalgiafest to accompany it. :)

No comments: