Friday, November 13, 2015

Nintendo Direct 12/11/2015 (EU): Not-so-live Impressions



It's very late. I'm very tired. It can only be Nintendo Direct Not-so-live Impressions time.



  • 00:00 -  Jeez, that YouTube description. Freaking spoilers, Nintendo. :D
  • 00:11 - Yay! Shibata!
  • 00:28 - Aww. Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.



    • 00:42 - Well bam, there it is: Twilight Princess HD!
    • 01:02 - Oh boy. I'm so ready for this. I might have been one of the only ones, but I freaking loved Twilight Princess. I've been hankering to replay it for years, but man, that Wii version looks like jaggedy garbage on a HDTV.



      • 01:05 - Hmm. This is maybe not the full visual upgrade I was expecting. :D Looks like a more basic uprezzing. Even so, this is a big step up from that PAL Wii version smeared all over a big TV.
      • 01:47 - What's with the music here. Twilight Princess had awesome trailer music and a rad trailer to go with it back in the day.
      • 02:17 - Uh Oh! Outsourced remake. Between that and the lack of graphical pizazz here, I'll bet most of GAF is shitting all over this right now. :D



        • 02:25 - Oh yes! Oh fuck yes! I will buy the crap out of that amiibo! (Failing to see how this makes it more than "a prettier remake of the same game", but carry on, Shibata.)



          • 02:32- Compatible with the existing Zelda amiibos too. Eww, pee column Link. Come on, Nintendo, how about a proper adult Link amiibo?
          • 02:39 - Oh. I was kind of expecting this to be releasing imminently. I still have hope that this isn't taking the place of the new Zelda on the Wii U though, but with this releasing next year (almost certainly), we're getting into more dangerous territory on that one, I fear.
          • 02:47 - Okay, March 4th. Yeah, that early in the year, I think it's safe to say that they're not positioning this as a sort of consolation prize for Wii U owners. Hype train re-engage!



            • 02:56 - Oh snap, it's a retail release. I was thinking digital with the amiibo released to coincide with it, but hell yeah, I'll take this, especially with the soundtrack included (which, surprise, I really loved).



              • 03:28 - Oh crap! A wild Zelda Wii U appears! Really wasn't expecting a confirmation of that here, but I'll also take that. Looks more cel shaded than the last time they showed it, I think. And whoa, does Link have brown hair here?

                 

                • 03:29 - No, it's blonde. He's wearing a hood, not unlike the one Zelda wears in Twilight princess when you first see her actually. Some connection maybe. Time to revise your timelines, everyone.
                • 03:44 - Oh? Some stop and swap action with the Wolf Link amiibo. The Twilight Princess connection plot thickens... Or not...
                • 04:02 - I'm trying to think what Zelda games they haven't released on the Wii U VC yet. Majora's Mask and.. Minish Cap, maybe?



                  • 04:07 - Of course! How could I have forgotten the two DS games. Such a great fit for the Wii U. You won't even be able to play these on your TV! :D (2D sprite-based games with minimal touch screen interaction: those are the types of DS games that'll look good and work well on the Wii U, Nintendo. Not these.)
                  • 04:41 - It's a Zelda-heavy direct. Triforce Heroes now. Yep, still don't even have a 3DS. :D I did just pick up Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube though, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles actually. Now all I need is a house and three hookers to play them with.



                    • 06:03 - Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. *Sigh" And all of a sudden the realisation that there's no true Paper Mario sequel on the way becomes a crushing disappointment once again. I'm sure this'll be fine though.



                      • 07:30 - For a second there I thought they were adding Paper Mario's badges to Mario & Luigi in the form of cards. Nope, these are just glorified items. Wouldn't want to add any interesting wrinkles to that super fun M&L battle system, would we? :D #SoSalty
                      • 07:47 - Okay, a few of these amiibo cards have badge-like functions, but again, most of these just work as single use, stat-altering items, as far as I can see. 



                        • 09:28 - You know, the papercraft battles might be the most interesting thing here to me. Well, aside from the story, which I'm sure will be fun.
                        • 10:22 - Updates for Wii U games in 2015 now. Slopes! Slopes! Slopes!



                          • 10:36 - Man, I feel terrible for not having played Splatoon yet. Between Yoshi's Wolly World, watching every bit of Glastonbury coverage (it was fun while it lasted, TunnelBear), Mario Maker and a bunch of other things, it just slipped off my radar. Of course I still bought it though. (I mean, it did come with an amiibo. Come on.).
                          • 11:59 - Cool that they're still supporting it with new content though.. I wonder if this is where they start charging however.



                            • 13:22 - Yes. Give me my slopes. Damn it!
                            • 13:34 - Just the stuff in the recent update so far. Really happy with checkpoints. Everything else, I could take or leave.



                              • 14:12 - Ooh yes! Finally some searching options, and tags by the look of things.
                              • 14:23 - Seriously, Nintendo!? A web site, not something in-game? This is going to used for searching by virtually no one, meanwhile loading up levels within the game alone will be as much of a crapshoot as ever. Plus, Mario Maker Hub is already doing exactly this anyway.
                              • 14:46 - Okay, there is a little integration with the game. Marking a course as a favorite on the site and having it waiting in the game will make sharing levels a little easier at least. Providing people use this site, that is.
                              • 15:04 - December for the Mario Maker site. Well, can't hurt to throw my levels up there as well, I guess.
                              • 15:08 - Queue absolutely none of my levels :D (Giants Rule, people: AA63-0000-0092-A8BD Catch it!)
                              • 15:21 - I'm somehow not expecting any of Dan Ryckert's atrocities to show up here either. :D



                                • 16:02 - I hate all these people. :D Also, "Nigge"? Really?



                                  • 16:56 - "Which level will you play first?" None of the above, Nintendo. None of the above. #SoSalty



                                    • 17:18 - Xenoblade Chronicles X, and I think I'm having a Chystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers flashback.



                                      • 17:48 - This still looks great, but, and maybe I'm being a terrible person here, I still haven't played the Wii original, so I'll be skipping out on this one for now come December.



                                        • 18:33 - Speaking of skipping stuff, I hear Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash might be one to miss. Definitely won't be bothering with Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival either. That Tom Nook amiibo though? Maybe.
                                        • 18:43 - Wait!? What the hell was that Mario Tennis song? ♫Tennis. This is Tennis, with Super Mario... something♫. What? I... What!?
                                        • 19:10 - Ooh, a new guy.



                                          • 19:27 - Fast Racing Neo. Graphics look quite nice. Played the demo of the first one on the Wii though and found it a bit unwieldy.
                                          • 19:37 - With the color switching and extreme speed here, I'm getting shades of Ikaruga and Burnout here. Hm, might give this a look if there's a demo on offer.
                                          • 21:07 - Yeah, that looks quite sharp. Man, imagine what a Wii U F-Zero could look like. *sigh*
                                           *Sorry guys, forgot to turn off YouTube annotations for majority of the following pics. That's why you can see an info link... thing in the top right corner of  most of them. D'oh!



                                              • 21:14 - Typoman: a puzzle-platformer with a unique art style, finally. :D (Actually, the art styles I usually like, but you couldn't get me excited about another indie puzzle-platformer at this point.)
                                              • 21:43 - Yeah, this one's a pass for me, I think.



                                                • 21:59 - Steamworld Heist for 3DS. I should probably play Steamworld Dig at some point, right? 
                                                • 22:17 - Hats! Do people still care about TF2 hats? I'd have to imagine that Dota 2 and those dumb steam cards have eaten into that market a fair bit.
                                                • 22:31 - This seems like a neat game (that I'll probably never play either). :D



                                                  • 23:07 - So this is Nintendo Badge Arcade. Decorate your 3DS home menu. No thanks, I'm good.
                                                  • 23:15 - Nintendo finally getting into that lucrative desktop theme market.
                                                  • 23:27 - Oof, charging for random items in games is always gross.
                                                  • 23:57 - Pokémon Picross. I have no thoughts on this whatsoever. :D I should probably play the DS picross games, just not on Wii U.
                                                  • 24:00 - Another "free to start" game. DeNaaaaaaaaaaaa!



                                                  • 24:21 - This guy's pronunciation of Pokémon is really weirding me out. This definitely looks like picross though.
                                                  • 24:52 - Wait, what? Nintendo remembers that there is a Virtual Console on 3DS?



                                                    • 24:55 - Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow on the 3DS Virtual Console. Well,  I guess they could hardly remake them again.



                                                      • 25:26 - Oh, that's neat, they're actually implementing the link cable stuff with these. Honestly wasn't expecting that given the half-assed state of some of the VC stuff on the Wii U. Come on, Nintendo, you couldn't even grey out the online option on Mario Kart DS? Let's not even get started on how bad the NES stuff looks.



                                                        • 25:53 - Final Fantasy Explorers - another multiplayer 3DS game I'll probably never play.
                                                        • 26:22 - Yep, classic Final Fantasy characters, like Lightning.

                                                                   

                                                          • 27:24 - Been playing some Mega Man Legacy Collection on Steam. It's good. The games look great, and the save state is a life saver to someone who didn't grow up with them. I would have liked multiple slots and quick save/quick load keys though. Plus, why not Mega Man 1 to 10? More work definitely, but it would have made for a much more attractive package (I don't have high hopes that we'll see a follow-up to this either, given how little Capcom seems to care about the franchise at this point.)
                                                          • 28:28 - Shibata time again. More titles coming in 2016? Queue tumble weeds.



                                                            • 28:41 - Pokkén Tournament! I don't know if it's just the lack of Wii U software coming out, but sure, I'm down for a Pokémon Tekken game.



                                                              • 29:28 - Wait. There's a dude in that Lucario? People turning into pokémon; that's what we're doing here, Namco? Maybe they're all high on PCP. Man, Pokkén Tournament just got dark.
                                                              • 29:55- Pft! An amiibo card. I wouldn't wipe my ass with an amiibo card.



                                                                • 30:17 - Starfox!
                                                                • 30:37 - Really hope this is good. Actually had a chance to play through Star Fox Assault during the summer. Thought it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. You're spending the vast majority of the game on the ground though, usually in a landmaster. It's not the Starfox you'd really want, but it is surprisingly good for what it is, and the few arwing levels that were there, I really enjoyed a lot.
                                                                • 31:27 - Not the most mind-blowing of trailers, but I'm still pretty excited for this. Still keeping my fingers crossed that they don't screw this up with forced gamepad stuff.



                                                                  • 31:28 - Wow. I think I might have been one of the only ones to be impressed with how this looked in the E3 video. I think this looks even better.
                                                                  • 31:50 - Oh boy, I hope they don't overuse the walker for ground-based stuff. Sure, I liked Star Fox Assault, but let's keep it in the skies as much as possible, you guys.



                                                                    • 32:07 - Yep, exactly what I was talking about. :D Did we really need a flying landmaster? I think not.
                                                                    • 32:40 - So the little ROB guy is called the Direct-i? Reminds me of the spy cameras in Perfect Dark. Ah, the fun I used to have with the DrugSpy.
                                                                    • 33:08 - This dual screen stuff still sounds like something I want nothing to do with.
                                                                    • 33:24 - April 2016 for Starfox. That's turned into quite a delay. Here's hoping it pays off.



                                                                      • 33:28 - Okay, now on to the important stuff. :D



                                                                        • 33:42 - Lucas? No. Resetti, I might have gotten if he was in an angrier pose, but nah. I think the only Animal Crossing I'm really down for is Tom Nook.
                                                                        • 33:46 - I don't know who Kicks even is. I'm guessing he's from New Leaf?



                                                                          • 34:03 - Man, more than half of those I've never even seen in an Animal Crossing game. :D
                                                                          • 34:14 - Boo! No more amiibo stuff. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to see some more Zelda stuff. Between Twilight Princess, Zelda Wii U and the 30th anniversary, they've got to put out a series of Zelda amiibos, right? I really want a Tetra one; OoT era Link, Gannondorf and Zelda would be cool. Wait, imagine if they did a happy mask shop owner one, or one of the guy in the windmill, or, or, or...........



                                                                            • 34:29 - Another Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game. Well, I guess someone must play all these.



                                                                              • 36:14 - Linkle! "Linkle is a girl"? Come on, Shibata. Girls don't play video games.
                                                                              • 36:56 - Damn. I'd really like try out the new characters they're putting in this version, but I have zero interest in playing this on a handheld, especially with how much of a visual downgrade it is. I suppose there's no chance them coming to the Wii U as DLC?



                                                                                • 37:13 - Is that a compass? That's a nice little bonus, but I'm totally not picking this up. I already have enough 3DS games I got for limited edition stuff, and no system to play them on.



                                                                                • 37:28 - Yuck. The end layer is the worst.



                                                                                  • 38:43 - Woah, Nintendo of Europe are diving deep into limited editions. This one looks a lot more attractive though.



                                                                                    • 38:57 - There's a figure as well? Yeah, I was thinking about it for a second, but this is going to be freakin' expensive.
                                                                                    • 39:17 - Oh, the Dragon Quest VII remake is finally getting localised. That's cool.
                                                                                    • 39:57 - Dragon Quest VIII as well. If I ever get around to these, it probably won't be on 3DS, but it's great that these versions are finally seeing the light of day over here.



                                                                                      • 40:52 - So Fire Emblem Fates is coming out as two versions over here. I still wonder if Fire Emblem is big enough to pull this off. I guess we'll find out.
                                                                                      • 41:28 - The third campaign is coming over too, but later and on the eShop only. That's a little less riskier than retail at least.
                                                                                      • 41:53 - Ahh! The retail version is all three. That makes more sense.
                                                                                      • 41:59 - Another special edition. Damn, we're going to be drowning in art books by the time Nintendo of Europe are finished. :D



                                                                                        • 42:11 - I guess that's it, you guys. But wait, there's still another THREE minutes in the video. What does it mean!? (Yeah,  I've already had this spoiled, at least to some extent.)



                                                                                          • 42:23 - Mario Galaxy HD! Man, I wish.
                                                                                          • 42:28 - Nope. It's Super Smash Bros...
                                                                                          • 42:33 - ...cross...

                                                                                             

                                                                                            • 42:41 - ...Final Fantasy VII. You know, everyone's favorite game on a Nintendo platform. :D

                                                                                               

                                                                                              • 42:59 - OMG!!!!! CLOUD!!!!!! Seriously though, while this is the kind of weird crossover I welcome, this is such an odd one. Sonic made sense; Mega Man was a no-brainer; even Snake had a few games out on Nintendo platforms. Am I wrong in thinking that this'll be the the first time Cloud has appeared on a Nintendo console? Maybe he was in those handheld Kingdom Hearts games? I'm guessing we have the Smash Ballot to blame chiefly for this one, which is why we're probably getting Sephiroth somewhere down the line too, hence the whole "cross" thing.

                                                                                                 

                                                                                                • 43:07 - I like the look of the Midgar stage though, and this is cool. Cloud's just the last character I'd put in smash. Than again, I guess I wasn't 14 when I played FFVII. :D



                                                                                                  • 43:31 - Guessing this is some Kingdom Heats costume. The first one's still the only one I've played and I really didn't enjoy it much. FFVII though, that game's still legit great.
                                                                                                  • 44:01 - Meh, limit breaks. Give me a minute long summon, at least.



                                                                                                    • 44:17 - Yeah, Baphomet! Still, there's no way they're going to have long-ass summon animations preceding them, even though that would be hilarious.

                                                                                                       

                                                                                                      • 44:58 - A Super Smash Bros. Special Broadcast? Coming December 2015? Goku powers up! (After this, I wouldn't even be surprised :D) (Edit: Okay, I'm going through this again, adding pictures and that's not just some random gradient in the text. That's totally a blurry picture of the next DLC character.)
                                                                                                      • 45:15 - And that's it.

                                                                                                      No comments: