Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Video: Running World Rally Fever in DOSBox 0.72



While I was able to get every other DOS game I had running with DOSBox a few years ago, there was one that just flat out refused to co-operate. That was "World Rally Fever", the kart racer I was harping on about a few weeks ago. It really ticks me off when there's something I can't get working, no matter what I try. >:|

Thankfully those saviours of retro gaming, the DOSBox team managed implement the functionality needed to play the game earlier in the year. Joy unbounded, I could finally play it for five minutes before leaving it to gather dust on my shelf again for years. :D

At the moment the version of the game I have is only playable by using one of the in-development (CVS) builds of the emulator, though I imagine that the next version will be able to run it in the same way. While it's probably playable in many of the later CVS builds, the one I'm using is from 06/01/08 and it runs the game very well on my PC.

The other day someone on YouTube asked how I managed to get it running, so I decided that it might be a good idea to put together a bit of a tutorial on the process for anyone that's wondering how to do it.

I've put up the CVS build of DOSBox I'm using here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xoubk29hbd5zgvb

You can download DOSBox from the DOSBox site.

No comments: